About Me

My photo
I have been married to Russ for 13 years. We have two daughters, Shauna and Maddyson . I teach vocal & general music. In July 2011, we began Miehls Healthy Life Source, a home-based business. Our goal is to share safe, natural products with our friends, family, and others so the world is a safer place.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

God's Purpose, God's Will

"Come, let's sell him to the Ishmaelites and not lay our hands on him; after all, he is our brother, our own flesh and blood."  His brothers agreed.  So when the Midianite merchants came by, his brothers pulled Joseph up out of the cistern and sold him for twenty shekels of silver to the Ishmaelites, who took him to Egypt. ~ Genesis 37:27-28

Praise the LORD.  Praise the LORD, O my soul.  I will praise the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.  Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save.  When their spirit departs, they return to the ground; on that very day their plans come to nothing.  Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God, the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them--the LORD, whoe remains faithful foreve.  He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry.  The LORD sets prisoners free, the LORD gives sight to the blind, the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down, the LORD loves the righteous.  The LORD watches over the alien and sustains the fatherless and widow, but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.  The LORD reigns forever, your God, O Zion, for all generations.  Praise the LORD. ~ Psalm 146

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. ~ Romans 8:28

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."  So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.  What can man do to me?"

The Lovely Will of God
by Hannah Whitall Smith

     "We are not wise enough to judge as to things, whether they are really in their essence joys or sorrows, but the Lord knows; and, because he loves us with an unselfish and limitless love, he cannot fail to make the apparently hard, or cruel, or even wicked thing, work together for our best good.  I say "cannot fail" simply because it is an unthinkable thing to suppose that such a God as ours could do otherwise.
     It is not matter who starts our trial, whether human, or devl, or even our own foolish self.  If God permits it to reach us, he has by this permission made the trial his own, and will turn it for us into a chariot of love which will carry our souls to a place of blessing that we could not have reached in any other way.  I say that to the Christian who hides in the fortress of God's will, there can be no "second causes," for nothing can penetrate into that fortress unless the divine keeper of the fortress shall give it permission; and this permission, when given, means that he adopts it as being for our best good.  Joseph was sold into Egypt by the wickedness of his brethren, but God made their wickedness the chariot that carried Joseph to his place of triump over the Egyptians.
     We may be certain therefore, more certain than we are that the sun will rise tomorrow, that God's will is the most lovely thing the universe contains for us; and this, not because it always looks or seems the best, but because it cannot help being the best, since it is the will of infinite unselfishness and of infinite love."
     Taken from the Women's Devotional Bible 2

     When I started writing this post tonight, I was pretty frustrated.  I started a home business in July.  With this company, when I have enrolled 8 customers, I will become a Director.  In the last 2 weeks, I have had 4 appointments scheduled.  2 were not interested in enrolling right now, 1 said no, and 1 did not even answer the phone when I called.  Any of these appointments would have enabled me to become a Director as I only need 1 more enrollment.
     As a read the Scripture passages associated with this devotional, and as I was typing in Hannah Whitall Smith's words, I felt a sense of peace come over me.  Do I want to get to the next level in my business?  Of course, I do.  However, when I think about my schedule in the week ahead, I think maybe this is God's way of helping me step back and refocus on other commitments I have already made.
     Monday through Friday - teaching music to elementary students and JH & HS choir students
     Monday - taking my daughters to the 4-H fair booth work night
     Tuesday - worship planning meeting at church
     Wednesday - music planning meeting at church
     Thursday - musical auditions at school
     Friday - unwinding from the week and preparing for a weekend of "single parenting" as my husband will be gone for the weekend.
     Lord, be with me in the coming week.  Help me to focus completely on the tasks that you have given me in the coming week.  I believe that the "trials" I am about to face have come from you and that you will help me to grow as I work through them.  Guide my thoughts, words and actions so that I may glorify You and live out your will for my life.  Amen.

3 comments:

momof2 said...

Kristi - you will reach your goals. It is good to prioritize your schedule and work on what is really important to you. I wish you luck and send you prayers :-)
Danielle

Kristi Miehls said...

Thanks, Danielle. Right now, my focus has to be on school. That is our family's primary source of income. That said, I will continue to work my Melaleuca business during my free hours. After I get a couple of weeks in at school, my hectic schedule should slow down a bit.

Unknown said...

Keep working hard--I too just started with Melaleuca and am waiting to see things take off the way I would like. Keep trusting and praying! Thanks for sharing your heart...check out my blog at www.ruthless-love.blogspot.com....same template, too ;)