About Me

My photo
I have been married to Russ for 13 years. We have two daughters, Shauna and Maddyson . I teach vocal & general music. In July 2011, we began Miehls Healthy Life Source, a home-based business. Our goal is to share safe, natural products with our friends, family, and others so the world is a safer place.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Parenting, Values

The servant asked him, "What if the woman is unwilling to come back with me to the land?  Shall I then take your son back to the country you came from?"  "Make sure that you do not take my son back there," Abraham said.  ~ Genesis 24:5-6

So I said:  "Do not take me away, O my God, in the midst of my days; your years go on through all generations.  In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.  They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment.  Like clothing you will change them and they will be discarded.  But you remain the same, and your years will never end.  The children of your servants will live in your presence; their descendants will be established before you." ~ Psalm 102:24-28

My son, keep your father's commands and do not forsake your mother's teaching.  Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck.  When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you.  For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life... ~ Proverbs 6:20-23

With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." ~ Acts 2:40

     The older my children get, the more I worry about them.  I see things on TV and hear things on the radio that do not match the values I want them to have.
     Today, as I was driving to my Mom's house to pick up my daughters, I saw three young teenagers walking down the sidewalk.  From a distance, I thought it was 3 boys.  The one in the middle, who appeared to be shirt-less, had their arms around the shoulders of the two on the outside.  As I got closer, I realized that the middle person was a girl in a string bikini top.  My daughters are 10 and 6.  I will not let them out of the house wearing a bathing suit top that looks like a bra to just walk down the sidewalk.
     I know that my daughters think that we are "mean" and "strict" because we haven't gotten them cell phones.  I do not see the need for them to have cell phones as they are always with me, my husband, or another adult that has a phone they could use in an emergency situation.  Many of my oldest daughter's friends have cell phones.  I am not judging their parents, but I do not believe that a cell phone is a necessity for a 10-year old.
     Each year as they approach adolescence, I see my daughters pushing the limits a little bit more.  I pray that God will guide my husband and me as we parent them and try to train them to follow God's ways. 
     May God bless you all.  Thanks for reading! :)

No comments: