About Me

My photo
I have been married to Russ for 13 years. We have two daughters, Shauna and Maddyson . I teach vocal & general music. In July 2011, we began Miehls Healthy Life Source, a home-based business. Our goal is to share safe, natural products with our friends, family, and others so the world is a safer place.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Creativity

. . . and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts. ~ Exodus 31:3

Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre, praise him with tambourine and dancng, praise him with the strings and flute, praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.  Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.  Praise the LORD ~ Psalm 150:3-6

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you:  Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think ofyourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.  Just as each ofus has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.  We have different gifts, according to the grace given us.  If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith.  If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach.  If it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully. ~ Romans 12:3-8

Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.  Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, . . . ~ Ephesians 5:19

     What is your form of creative expression?  I have many. 
     I sing every day.  Somtimes I make up new words to songs.  When my daughters were younger, I used to sing songs, like "You Are My Sunshine" and substitute their names in place of "Sunshine". 
     When I was in late elementary or junior high, my mom taught me how to embroider.  My great-grandmother used to embroider pillow cases and I thought they were pretty.  I have completed many embroidered and cross-stitched projects over the years.
     Another creative expression is in cake and cupcake decoration.  I took some cake decorating classes when I was younger.  I have made and decorated nearly every birthday cake for my daughters.  I think I only bought 1 cake for the 16 birthdays they have had between them.  My oldest daughter has been talking about making the birthday cake for my youngest daughter, whose birthday is in January.  I mentioned to her a couple days ago that Cake Decorating is a project that can be completed for 4-H.  She told me that she knew that and was planning to take a Cake Decorating project next year.
     My most recent form of creativity is crochet.  I would not claim to be an expert at all, but I really enjoy the feel of yarn slipping through my fingers and using a crochet hook to create blankets, hats, hair scrunchies and other projects.  I spend lots of time looking at crochet patterns.
     I use crafts and creativity to unwind at the end of the day. 

     "Creativity is a God-given ability to take something ordinary and make it into something special.  It is an openness to doing old things in new ways and a willingness to adapt other people's good ideas to suit our personal needs.  And creativity is an ability we all possess, although many of us keep it hidden in the deep corners of our lives.
     Every single human being is creative.  The creative spirit is part of our heritage as children of the One who created all things.  And nurturing our creativity is part of our responsibilty as stewards of God's good gifts."
     by Emilie Barnes; taken from Women's Devotional Bible 2

     Whatever your method of creativity, I encourage you to use it.  If it's been a while, take your time and just let yourself go.  Have a great day!  Thanks for joining me today.

No comments: